Thursday, November 11, 2010

I want answers! and you better give 'em!!!

When I first went to camp, you could see all the way down to the bottom of the lake. Why did that change? Why did all of the names get painted-over in the cabins? ... That was a lot of history erased (shame, shame, shame). Who was Doc Simmons, and why did they name the Chapel after him? Who threw the rock that hit the lady in the head? Alright, I know the answer to this one-- do you? ;-) Does anyone find it ironic that we celebrated the Sabbath every Friday when we were going to a YMCA [young men's christian association] Camp? Was it really politically correct to call the youngest campers midgets? I think it would've been more appropriate to say "little people". What were the names of the three lovelies abandoned on camp grounds? Can you really call two piss-stained chairs, a broken window and a three-legged pool table with only 6 pool balls a lounge? [Bascomb Lounge that is]. Can anyone really rationalize why Mark wouldn't give Travis a second chance? Best unanswered question: Was Dick really Crazy Dan? If you say no -- prove it!

The best answer to all of the above questions is: WGAS-- we undeniably had good times that will last a lifetime!!

Hail Camp Frank A. Day!!! [by the way, who hell is Frank Day]

1 comment:

The Reluctant Captain said...

@bamf - This is a crazy post I must say. But, you are correct. I have some answers...

I could never see all the way to the bottom of the lake and I swam down to it many times. lol

The names got painted over, from what I've heard, by order of Dick M. at some point. I don't understand this, but it didn't surprise me. Some look at it as graffiti others as history. Me, I would have liked to see it stay.

As far as Doc Simmons, I am pretty sure he worked at camp day back in the day, check this out: http://campfrankadayalumniwebpage.info/alumnimemories.html. The Chapel services used to be mandatory.

I know who threw the rock that hit the lady in the head. It was a lucky shot (or unlucky depending on how you look at it). It was me. And, at the time, I felt bad about it, but now I know that it was a one in a million shot. Sorry lady and dude in the boat, you were in the right place at the wrong time.

I don't find it ironic that we celebrated the Sabbath every Friday at a ymca camp, Jesus Christ celebrated the Sabbath and there were a lot of Jewish people at CFAD. I think we should have celebrated Islam, Hinduism, traditional Chinese religions, Buddhism, African Traditional & Diasporic, Sikhism, Juche, Spiritism: , Baha'i, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Neo-Paganism, Unitarian-Universalism, Rastafarianism and Scientology as well. But especially Rastafarianism.

I think that people who go to camp should always call the little kids midgets. They are not little people, therefore, they shouldn't be offended and if they are who cares, they are 6 years old.

Don't remember the names of the 3 lovelies, but for people who attended Camp Day in the late 80s, they were picked up by 3 counselors at the local Friendly's and left alone in the dark at camp. Those counselors were the coolest people at camp. LOL.

Yes, I am pretty sure Bascom Lounge or (Bascom Lodge as I remember it) was the best thing ever, even though the Bat shit, piss stained chairs and the pool table with 6 balls, holes in the windows and floors was a lounge. In fact, it was the best lounge/lodge I have ever been in.

Mark T. wouldn't give Travis a second chance because he was an asshole. Plain and simple.

Yes, Dick was crazy Dan.

Oh and btw, Frank Ashley Day was born in 1852 and died in 1914. He went to school in Newton, MA. and the camp was named after him because he donated a bunch of money to the YMCA. There is more information here:

http://www.thedaytime.org/06-05/features.html

but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Well, that is 15 minutes wasted. - RC